The BTS ANNUAL LECTURES
The Village Hotel Bristol
2nd March 2024
Friday 1st March 2024
7.30 pm. Pre-lectures evening get-together with dinner* and drinks. Meet in the hotel bar (* if staying on the 2 night package! )
Please note :When adding dinner please select one of the prepaid pub and grill credit enhancements, the two options are £22.50 per person (worth £25 credit to use) or £40 per person (worth £50 credit to use)
Saturday 2nd March 2024
All timings to be announced and subject to change. There will be a short break between all talks for coffee and tea etc. While we set up the next guest lecturer
12.00 : Official welcome
12.10 Paul Carpenter ” The Bug Barn,Setting Up ”
1.00 Mark Pennell(BTS) “Omothymus, Malaysia’s Tree Tiger of the Hutan: Giant Island Variant”
2:00 :Light Lunch: Working lunch sandwich selection, including a small salad and desert. Still and Sparkling Mineral Water
2.30:Dr Benjamin Kennedy “Update on the veterinary care of tarantulas”
(Leading the field in veterinary care for tarantula and inverts)
3.30 Richard Gallon: “Tarantula Tour in Tanzania”
4.30: Professor Sara Goodacre “Inspired by nature: Making Silks that that are smarter than a spider’s”
After Dinner : Andrew Smith: Renowned Film Maker: World premier of ” Theraphosa in the Shadow of the Guillotine“
Ticket price: (per person): Lecture and Dinner: £70.00 (Includes online fees and free entry to the BTS Exhibition*)
Lectures only: £40
Dinner only for guests: £40
If you have any special dietary requirements please inform me at the time of booking.
If you would like to bring guests, who do not wish to attend the lectures but would like to join us for dinner we are happy to accommodate them. The hotel will gladly allow the use of their facilities whilst the lectures are in progress.
- You do not have to a member of the BTS to attend.
- Under 16’s are welcome but must be supervised at all times.
- All dinner and lecture tickets by advance bookings only. Refunds on cancelled places before 31st January will incur a small admin charge.
- No refunds can be given after 20th February 2024.
NOTE: The selling of tarantulas is strictly forbidden, you may exchange or swap tarantulas. It’s an ideal place to pass on males etc. The use of video equipment during the lectures will be restricted to official use only. Photographs are permitted within reason. Any live tarantulas must not be visible to the public and other hotel guests.
*Attending the Lectures grants you Free entry to the BTS Exhibition 2024.
The Wrist bands are non transferable non refundable, please wear your wristband to the event or you will be charged on entry.
Entry to the BTS Exhibition is restricted to public opening times.(11.00am)
Prices and times are subject to change without prior notice.
The evening dinner will be three course meal, served to you at your table and will be chosen from a menu and pre-ordered.
- Starter –
- Roasted red pepper and tomato soup with basil oil and croutons
- Smooth chicken liver pate with fruit chutney, toasted croute and baby leaf salad
- Chicken, potato and sweetcorn chowder with crispy bacon
- Classic prawn cocktail served with brown bread and butter
Main Course –
- Oyster mushroom and asparagus risotto topped with a rocket and lemon salad and truffle oil (V)
- Butter roasted turkey breast, garlic roast potatoes, sage stuffing, Cumberland twists, seasonal vegetables and grain mustard sauce
- Lemon and tarragon chicken breast on a bed of spring onion mash, chargrilled vegetables and grain mustard sauce
- Roast loin of pork, cider fondant potato, braised cabbage, glazed carrots and sage gravy
- Salted chocolate and caramel tart with a duo of sauces and whipped cream
- Baked chocolate cheesecake with chocolate sauce and whipped cream
- Banoffee pie topped with chocolate shavings
- Cream filled profiteroles drizzled with chocolate sauce
Lectures Hotel Room Rates
We have been given a special room rate for overnight stays.Prices as below:
Bed and Breakfast ONLY: Saturday
Single Occupancy £99
Payment for accommodation is with the hotel directly on check out.