The 16th BTS Lectures will be held once again at the Aztec Hotel, Bristol
March 10th 2018
go here to book your place now
Itinerary for the weekend
Friday 7.30 pm, pre-lectures evening get-together *dinner, drinks, meet in the hotel bar (* if staying on the 2 night package! ) NEW for 2018 pre- order your Friday Meal!
Venue: The Aztec Hotel, Bristol: The Cotswold Suite
Ticket price: (per person): Lecture and Dinner: £60
(includes online fees and free entry to the BTS Exhibition*)
Lectures only: £30
Dinner only for guests: £30
Lectures start: 12 noon
- Mark Bushell: Bristol Zoo:Update to the Desertas Wolf spider project.
- Paul Carpenter: Ex-BTS Committee and expert on African Theraphosids: Paul will tell us about his recent trip to Sulawesi
- Coffee, Tea and Biscuits or visit the Bar
- Guy Tansley: Ex-BTS Committee and expert on Asian Theraphosids: Guy will tell us about his recent trip to Malaysia
- André Leetz: Observation in the Genus Eresidae, Thererdiidae and Matriphapgia. Translations By Eddy Hjimensen
- Coffee, Tea and Biscuits or visit the Bar
- Ray Hale: BTS Vice-Chairman Bugs, Butterflies and Birdeaters. Henry Bates, Eleven Years On the AmazonIn 1848 two young adventurers set out from Liverpool to explore the Amazon. Henry Walter Bates was to spend a total of eleven years there whilst his friend Alfred Russel Wallace returned after four years and went on to travel around the Malay Archipelago for eight years.
Both men were to play a part in the story of evolution and Charles Darwin personally thanked Wallace for his assistance in his Origin of Species and said of Bate’s book “ A Naturalist On The River Amazon” that there was no finer book and no finer man to have written it.
At the BTS lectures this year on March 10th 2018 at the Aztec Hotel, Bristol I will be giving a lecture that tells the story of Henry Walter Bates, his early years, his hundreds of new discoveries on the Amazon and how he went on to define what we know today as Batesian Mimicry in animals. It’s a truly amazing story about an amazing man.
Dinner to start: 7.30 pm
After Dinner talk by legend Andrew Smith on his recent successful trip to Mexic
: MENU: Hot fork buffet and choice of desserts. Vegetarian option available.
If you have any special dietary requirements please inform me at the time of booking.
Staying at the Aztec Hotel & Spa
If you would like to bring guests, who do not wish to attend the lectures but would like to join us for dinner we are happy to accommodate them. The hotel will gladly allow the use of their facilities whilst the lectures are in progress. The cost for this would be £30.00 for the dinner only.
Payment details: You will need to book your place by 10th February 2018 and payment must be received no later than 10th Feb 2017.
- You do not have to a member of the BTS to attend.
- Under 16’s are welcome but must be supervised at all times.
- All dinner and lecture tickets by advance bookings only. Refunds on cancelled places before 31st January will incur a small admin charge.
- No refunds can be given after 12th February 2018.
NOTE: The selling of tarantulas is strictly forbidden, you may exchange or swap tarantulas. It’s an ideal place to pass on males etc. The use of video equipment during the lectures will be restricted to official use only. Photographs are permitted within reason. Any live tarantulas must not be visible to the public and other hotel guests.
* Free entry to the BTS Exhibition 2018, non transferable non refundable, please wear your wristband to the event or you will be charged on entry. Prices and times are subject to change without prior notice.
The evening meal consists of a hot fork buffet, the 2018 menu is as follows
Four hour slow cooked beef with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables
Chicken balti, basmati rice, popadoms, mango chutney, mint yogurt
Vegetarian option: Spinach and ricotta cannelloni baked with cheese and tomato sauce
- All meals are free of mushrooms and peanuts as per requests, also we have a full vegan option
Lectures hotel room rates
We have been given a special room rate for overnight stays prices as below:
Weekend Rates: To include *a’ la carte dinner on the Friday and bed and breakfast on the Saturday. Please note that we have a large group normally on the Friday night so we will be sending you the menu to pre order your *evening dinner.
Single Occupancy £170.00
Bed and Breakfast ONLY: Saturday
Single Occupancy £89.00
Payment for accommodation is with the hotel directly on check out.
If you wish to stay, can you please let me know as soon as possible in order that I may reserve a room for you?
Other options near by:
We can offer a number of alternative hotels.
Lodge on the Park: This hotel is situated adjacent to the Aztec Hotel. Should you wish to stay at this hotel please make your own arrangements.
Holiday Inn Express and Premiere Inn are situated within five to ten mins drive.